Thursday, July 28, 2011

Week Five and Six

I decided it was easier for me to post on Thursday or Friday than on Monday. It is kind of awkward because the big group run/walk is on Saturdays, but my work schedule is just so crazy that it works best for me this way. Anyway, on to the accomplishments and discouragements of the past ten days.

Last week, I did my walk on Tuesday (7/19) just fine. I didn't have any problems. Wednesday and Thursday I had a major family issue and I didn't do my workouts. I paid for it on Saturday.

Saturday was MURDER! When I woke up that morning, my right groin muscle was bothering me a little. I walked 5.09 miles in 1:46:56 at an avg speed of 2.86 mph for an avg pace of 20:59 min/mile. My feet were killing me! My legs were like rubber! I was having problems with my hip for the last mile and a half. I was so frustrated and hurting so bad, I wrote this in my journal. "I think I'm done with training for the half marathon. I don't see it is as quitting. I see it more as knowing my limit. Five miles was tough! I am not giving up. I am just not adding more mileage. I think 2 miles per day is good for me. If you think 2 miles is easy, you're wrong! Especially when you weigh 290 pounds! I think I need to concentrate on losing weight more than on distance at this point in my life. So, I am going to go to aerobics every Tuesday and Thursday, and walk 2 miles every Monday, Friday, and Saturday. I have found that working out on Sunday and Wednesday doesn't happen because life is too crazy on those days."

Sunday my legs were still bothering me a little, my knees especially, but for the most part the pain was gone. Monday, I changed my mind. Here is my journal entry. "Long story short, I'm going to press on with the half marathon training.I sent Lauree an email telling her basically everything my last entry said. Dean just called me to see how I'm feeling today. I told him physically I'm fine, but I don't think I can keep on. He told me that that is normal at this point in the training. He said I shouldn't let one bad day stop me. He gave me some tips about preparing for Saturdays' distances." He also said that since I was no longer hurting two days later, it wasn't that I can't handle it physically. He said the mental issues are usually harder to overcome than the physical. He talked me into sticking it out.

Tuesday was another BAD day! "OMG! That was the hardest 2 miles in history! I had to stop three times because I was so hot and so weak! I wasn't hurting anywhere like I was on Sat, but I was ridiculously weak. My heart rate got really high at one point and I have no clue why. It was the smallest of the hills and I wasn't going very fast. The humidity was unbearable! I made it, but barely." I thought about quitting again, but I had told Dean I would give it at least two more weeks. I want to keep my word.

Today was AWESOME!!! Today I did 3 miles and I felt GREAT! No pain, no weakness, no hunger. I went to Shelby Bottoms which is where the half marathon is going to be held and I felt better today than ever! That is encouraging! :-))

I also weighed this morning and discovered that I have lost 2 lbs since my last weigh in on July 18. That was pretty encouraging also.

Here are some pictures from the group walk on Saturday, July 23.

This photo was taken at the very beginning of the walk.
Lauree and I were praying about the pain in my groin muscle.

This was about one mile into the walk. I was feeling fine at that point.
The pain in my groin was gone after Lauree and I prayed.

This picture was taken when my right hip was KILLING me!
Every step hurt. I pressed on and walked all the way back.
Lauree had completed her run, but came back to walk with me
the last half mile. She's so awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Stick to it Trai. I'm proud of what you are doing.

    Dean sounds like a very smart guy. He is 100% right when he says the largest hurdles we have when it comes to our physical health are mental hurdles, not physical hurdles. It is AMAZING what you can do if you put your mind to it and you have people around you supporting you and encouraging you. You have both.

    Having training partners helps, how awesome that you have multiple partners. I know I HATE running, but when I had a group of friends that I ran with a few years ago, I ALWAYS ran faster and further with the group than I did on my own.

    You're in my prayers. Stay Strong.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete